Saturday, September 10, 2005

Happy Teacher's Day

So, it's National Teacher's Day in China. It doesn't actually mean much, except for the fact that I get wished "Happy Teacher's Day" now. As a reward, I got a small bonus and I was invited to a special assembly to thank all the teachers at the school.

Before I go on, let me establish one simple thing. The assembly started at 1:00 and ended at 4:00.

Unfortunately, I wasn't told that there would be a high ranking member of the Guangdong Communist Party attending. I assume that these party members actually do something at some point, but every time I see them they make very very very very very long-winded speeches. This meeting was no exception, as the first half-hour of the time consisted of awards being given to exceptional teachers and the rest of it was basically Mr. Li talking. In Chinese.

If this is how they thank teachers here, I sure as hell don't want to see how they punish them.

No comments: