Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Classroom stuff and the Moon Festival

Alright, so there's actually things to report this time around.

Here are some of the highlights of my class periods:

I had a girl tell me that I was too emotional. What tipped her off? The fact that I laughed. Out loud. Yeah, I know, I know. The first step is admitting that I have a problem.

As part of a conversation exercise about giving excuses, I had a girl ask me to a dance. When I explained that I had a girlfriend, her response was "I can keep a secret." Tali, feel free to come and give her what for.

Anyway, this past weekend was the mid-autumn festival where you eat mooncakes and look at the moon. I'm still not sure why they do this. I asked every single one of my classes, and they would always respond with what they did. "Oh, we spend time with our families and eat moon cakes and watch the moon," they'll say. I'd press them further, asking when people started doing this and for what purpose. It's not that I have anything against admiring the moon, but why choose this day? And why call it the "mid-autumn" festival when it's still summer? Alas, such things may remain a mystery. One word on mooncakes themselves: they are kin to fruitcakes in the West, in the sense that nobody wants them, but everybody gives them. The unfortunate part is that they're much smaller, so you end up with many more of them. I've got a small pile that I don't know what to do with.

Other parts of the weekend involved teaching the students "Cancion del Mariachi," as well as listening to the Backstreet Boys sung in broken English. Truly they have created the most wonderful of holidays!

No comments: